Measurement + Control = Optimisation of production processes
Use inline measurement technology for your control tasks
More speed, more accuracy, more efficiency: Production facilities are under pressure.
They must produce more and better products in less time while reducing faulty parts and machine downtime. Furthermore, customer requirements for smaller individual quantities are to be considered. This difficult task can be facilitated through a clever combination of measurement and control technology.
Inline measurement technology is directly integrated in the production process and gives instant information about critical machine and production data. Acquired data from the “live process” allow the super-ordinate control unit to react immediately if, for example, tolerance values are exceeded.
This has a positive impact on the production process as a whole: Quality control, load factor, maintenance and production quantity.
Key factors to consider when looking for inline measurement solutions
- High precision in rough environment
- Easy integration in production processes
Integrate ADDI-DATA products in your production processes
There are different ways to integrate ADDI-DATA products in your production processes. Here is an example with MSX-E systems.
You can connect an MSX-E system to your PLC or use the new MSX-E3121 as a replacement for a small PLC.
4 examples of how inline measurement can optimise production processes
- 100% quality control through highest precision
- Take load off the PLC and external software through onboard calculation
- Monitoring and supply of machine data for statistical analysis
- Prevention helps reducing machine downtimes
100% quality control through highest precision
Production wastage does not only cost energy, it wastes raw materials, time and money and causes delays in delivery. The harsh environment of production facilities requires a high interference resistance of the measurement and control technology. Only few solutions can meet these requirements: Technologies that are working well under laboratory conditions are not suitable for use in an environment with current peaks or electromagnetic interferences. But interference resistance is only a basic requirement for 100 % quality control; the measurement accuracy is at least as important.
For ADDI-DATA, this has been an area of expertise for 30 years: Measurement solutions with a resolution up to 24-bit and numerous protective circuits guarantee a high measurement quality in a harsh industrial environment and thus 100% quality control even in case of a fast cycle.
Take load off the PLC and external software through onboard calculation
With efficient measurement technology it is possible to carry out measurement tasks in ongoing processes, which would not be possible with a PLC: Vibration, surface, diameter measurement etc. The most interesting benefit is that the PLC or other control unit or external software is relieved as much as possible through onboard calculation of the measured data. The measurement boards or systems acquire sensor or machine data and compare them to predefined tolerance values. Only if these limit values are exceeded the super-ordinate control unit or external software is informed.
Monitoring and supply of machine data for statistical analysis
Efficient measurement technology can also be used for machine data acquisition. To optimise the machine load factor, machine data like lot size or downtimes is collected and fed into a database for statistical analysis – without programming. For a better understanding of the transferred data, the raw data can be converted into real variables.
Production data and quality parameters can also be stored in the database. Thus ADDI-DATA measurement solutions build a bridge between IT level and production level.
Prevention helps reducing machine downtimes
Machine stops are expensive. Thus machine status monitoring is important for an early detection of errors, wear and malfunctions in order for maintenance work to be carried out during the next revision or during the next planned downtime. Furthermore, timely maintenance of machine and tools also prevents consequential damage. The purchase of spare parts and possibly the organisation of service technicians to replace the machine parts are also part of the maintenance planning. Timely planning saves money and reduces the overall machine downtime. This means an increase in the machine running time and production.
ADDI-DATA products for inline measurement and control technology
MSX-E: Measurement and control in the field
- Robust metal housings, degrees of protection IP 65/IP 67
- Operating temperature –40 C to +85 °C
- Easy connection to the PLC and the company network via Ethernet
- Integrated Modbus TCP/IP server – Modbus library in preparation
- High accuracy for precise control commands
- Onboard data calculation
- Synchronisation in the µs-range of several Ethernet systems of the same or different types
NEW! MSX-E3121 as a substitute for a small PLC or in addition to a PLC: Analog and digital I/O up to 500 mA per output for measurement and control tasks in one device!
More information >
MSX-Box: Measurement and control in real time
· Based on standard technologies like PCI or Compact PCI backplane
· Freely programmable, free programming tools
· Operating system Linux with RTAI extension
· No update obligations, no license costs
· PCI or CompactPCI I/O boards from other manufacturers can be used
PC boards: For fast applications with a high data volume
· DMA for a higher speed
· FPGA: calculation of the measurement values directly onboard
· RTX real-time drivers for time critical applications with Windows 32-bit and 64-bit
· Measurement boards are available for the following signal types: digital, counter, analog, temperature, pressure, vibrations, lengths, motion control, serial interfaces
More information >
x-ARTS: Solutions for EtherCAT, Profinet and VARAN
· High-precision inputs
· Faster than the bus cycle, values are buffered
· Start of the acquisition independently from the bus by using the 24 V trigger input
· Can be combined with external devices not connected to the bus
X-ARTS assets are quality and reliability, as many products from ADDI-DATA, our real time Ethernet systems are long term available to insure your investment